Legal Definition of a New Vehicle
The Lemon Law covers new motor vehicles, including:
• A new vehicle bought or used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
• A new vehicle with a gross vehicle weight under 10,000 pounds bought or used primarily for business purposes.
• The chassis, chassis cab, and propulsion portions of a motor-home.
• A dealer-owned vehicle, a “demonstrator,” or other motor vehicle sold with a manufacturer’s new car warranty.
• Purchased and leased vehicles.
• “New Motor Vehicle” does not include: – Any portion of a motor home designed, used, or maintained primarily for human habitation; or – A motorcycle or a motor vehicle which is not registered under the Vehicle Code because it is to be operated or used exclusively as an off-road vehicle.
Source: California Civil Code Section 1793.22(e).